• The Creative Writing Institute Virtual Camp provides an introduction to a variety of genres: poetry, short fiction, and creative non-fiction.
Typically, Alfred University welcomes high school students to our beautiful campus each year to take part in this popular co-ed, overnight summer camp. Due to its popularity, we will be offering this camp in an ONLINE VIRTUAL learning format in the summer of 2020!
Monday, July 13th - Thursday, July 16th, 2020
The application deadline is July 6th, 2020
• Students participate in writing intensive exercises designed to address the elements of craft: voice, character, image, scene, and setting.
• Students will have an opportunity to participate in workshop sessions in which they will read and discuss each other’s work with an eye towards revision.
• Students will also read and discuss the work of established authors, investigating the strategies they use to craft their poetry and prose. Discussions are lively, and students will have an opportunity to work one-on-one with faculty.
• All students receive a certificate of completion as well as an anthology of all students’ work from the Creative Writing Institute Virtual Camp. Students who later choose to apply for admission to Alfred University as an undergraduate student will have the admissions application fee waived and will be eligible for an Alfred University VISA scholarship.
• Dedicated access to a computer with reliable internet connectivity is required.
Who Can Attend?
This dynamic camp is for students entering grades 10-12 who love to write and want to learn new ways to improve their writing skills with others who share their passion! Rising 9th graders with an advanced aptitude and interest in writing are also welcome to apply!
Students attend classes and discussions via an online, virtual platform. Further information, including a detailed program schedule and online platform details, will be sent to all students upon acceptance.
The cost for students is $100.00. Students who later choose to apply for admission to Alfred University will have the admissions fee waived and will be eligible for a VISA scholarship.
How To Apply:
We will again be using CampDoc for our online registration system. We are again partnering with CampDoc (an online registration program) to better serve our campers and staff. CampDoc offers online registration and an electronic record system for campers. The CampDoc site is secure, encrypted and password protected. Only Alfred University Summer Health Staff will have access to camper information.
To gain access to our online application, please use the following link (we support the current and previous major releases of Google Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge and Safari):
Acceptance Next Steps:
The program director will evaluate all applications and determine who will be accepted. Acceptance and non-acceptance notifications will be sent via email. Once campers are accepted, they will be directed to pay the camp tuition and will be provided with the official schedule and online platform information. Any questions should be directed to Susan Morehouse.
The following are also required to complete your application to the camp:
Email the Creative Writing Institute Virtual Camp program director Susan Morehouse a letter expressing your interest in being considered to join the camp. In your application email, please include the following:
A one-page essay telling us in your own words why you would like to attend this program
Two samples of your creative writing (not longer than 4 pages each - can be excerpts from longer works)
The application deadline is July 6th, so apply today!